Last night I made my first soup in my new Vitamix blender. This soup is very smooth when made in the Vitamix.
Here is the recipe and a few pictures of the process.
Tomato Vegetable Soup
- 1 – 28 fl oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 a sweet white onion (vidalia)
- 2 organic carrots
- 3 organic celery stalks
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup cooked organic brown rice
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Empty can of diced tomatoes into Vitamix.
- On a cutting board, chop onion into slices.
- Add onion to hot frying pan. Let cook for two minutes, stirring to not burn.
- On cutting board, dice your celery and carrots.
- Add carrots and celery to frying pan. Let cook for two minutes with the onions, stirring to not burn. Onions should be more translucent now.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Add garlic to pan with carrots, celery and onion. You just want to warm it. Be careful to not burn it or it will taste bitter.
- Add the mixture in pan to Vitamix.
- Add cooked brown rice.
- Start on 1 and move to 5 and then move to 10 for one minute.
- Move to 4, remove vented clear lid (small opening lid) and add spices while in Vitamix is blending.
- Add 1/2 cup filtered water (or more if too think and not mixing well)
- Place vented clear lid back on and move to 10 again.
- Leave on 10 for 5-6 minutes until you see steam from vented lid.
- Move to 4 and remove vented lid.
- Turn off the Vitamix.
- Pour the hot soup into bowls.
If you don’t own a Vitamix, start the recipe in a large pot and begin with the onion for 2 minutes, add the carrots and celery, cook for two minute until onion is translucent and then add garlic (be careful not to burn). Add the tomatoes, then cooked rice. Add spices after 2 minutes of cooking. Cook for another 7 minutes (when carrots are soft) and then take an immersion blender to purée to a smooth finish.