Growing up one of my Dad’s sayings was “quit beating around the bush” – meaning get to the point. In honour of my Dad who a year ago was just learning to walk again and today is as strong as ever, I dedicate this powerful and tasty “RED Juice” to him. The juice is sweet and refreshing and full of love.
Beet Around the Bush
1 mid sized organic beet – washed and peeled (you may need to cut into segments to fit in the juicer)
2 organic carrots – scrubbed – ends removed
1 organic pear – Bosc or Bartlett – stem removed
1 inch of organic ginger
3 small leaves of curly organic kale
Handful of organic baby greens
- Process through your juicer
- Take the pulp in your juicer basket and juice it a second time
- When second time is complete add approx 1 cup of filtered water to rinse out the machine
Let me get straight to the point – this juice is filled with vitamins and minerals. Did I mention that it will also feed your mitochondria? Check out the impressive list:
- Beets – good source of folate and vitamin C
- Carrots – an excellent source of beta carotene, the precursor of Vitamin A. A source of potassium. Helps prevent night blindness. May help lower blood cholesterol levels and protect against cancer.
- Pear – A good source of vitamin C and folate
- Ginger- May prevent motion sickness. Can help quell nausea. Contains beta ionone, a terpenoid – which has anticancer properties
- Kale – an excellent source of beta carotene and vitamins C and E, A good source of folate, calcium, iron and potassium. Contains bioflavonoids and other substances that protect against cancer
- Baby greens – high in beta carotene, folate, vitamin C, calcium, iron and potassium
Cheers to my Dad and his determination to walk, ride a bike, climb ladders and live each day to the fullest.
May we all walk, run, skip and jump to wellness!
Jo, your 9CupChallenge partner